Thank you for making YMCA Move for Kids presented by RBC 2018 a huge success!
It takes a community… and we did it! Because of you, our 2018 YMCA Move for Kids presented by RBC was a success! Thanks to 571 participants, 119 volunteers and many generous donors and sponsors, our riders, sliders, walkers, rowers, swimmers, aquafit and fitness participants moved on Saturday February 24th and raised $75,566.50 allowing over 500 children to take swimming lessons or go to YMCA day camp! Thank you for being a part of it!
Congratulations to our top fundraising prize winners:
A special thank you goes out to our generous sponsors:
What is YMCA Move for Kids?
YMCA Move for Kids invites superheroes of all ages to participate in a fun, noisy beach themed event, bringing together over 700 participants and volunteers across the region to spin, walk, swim or run to support our local kids. 100% of funds raised will allow children from families who face financial barriers to access YMCA membership services such as youth programs and swimming lessons as well as YMCA day camp. Last year cyclists across the Niagara region covered a total distance of 9775.5 km on spin bikes! That’s the distance to Mexico City and back! $63,494 was raised to support 461 kids to learn to swim or have fun at camp.
Challenge Yourself and Join the Fun!
Across the Niagara Region, participants sign up with a $25 donation to join the fun and challenge of moving on a spin bike, in the pool or on the indoor track to help raise $75,000 to support our local kids. We are in this together! Bring your family! Bring your team! There’s something for everyone!
Where: All 6 YMCA Health Fitness and Aquatics Centres Grimsby, St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Welland, Fort Erie, and Port Colborne
Date: Saturday February 24th, 2018, 8am – 1pm
Branch Event Schedule: Available here
Family Fun: There is something for everyone. Check us out online at www.moveforkids.ca or visit your local YMCA branch for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there a theme to this event? Yes! Come as your favourite super hero, or bring your sunhat, sunglasses and grass skirts to join in the beach themed fun!
2. What should I wear? If you are cycling, walking or doing a class for 45 minutes or more, it’s best to wear clothing that is light and breathable along with indoor running shoes. Cycle shorts are a good option for spinning, but not necessary. Of course your favourite beachwear or superhero costume is a great option to go with the theme!
3. What is the minimum age to participate? For the family events, any age is welcome, and those under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. For cycling, the minimum age to participate is 13 years old with a minimum height of 4’8”.
4. If I don’t exercise regularly, can I still participate? Absolutely! This event is meant to be fun. You can go at your own speed on the indoor bikes or choose to walk at your own speed on the track. Aquafit and other family events are geared toward those participating. This is a challenge by choice event.
5. How do I sign up? The best way to sign up is through the online registration page at www.moveforkids.ca. Follow the instructions to register as an individual, family, or as part of a team.
6. How do I become part of a team? If you have two or more people, you have a team. You can create a team page on the website at www.moveforkids.ca and invite friends and family to join you. Otherwise you can add yourself as a participant on an already existing team. You can find a team to join by searching the team name in the search bar on the home page.